Sadly, It's Time for a Disclaimer

Every time I blog on an investment topic, I get the nagging feeling that I should have a disclaimer for this blog and the Platinum Years website, www.platinumyears.net. As I strive to fulfill the mission of providing financial and life planning "for the rest of us," I obviously have to give opinions that could influence your financial decision making. And although I am in that business, I am not writing in that capacity.

People have told me that my relatively informal style comes across as "advice from a friend," and that's the way I like to think about it. But I have enough work experience as a former officer of a brokerage firm to know that I need to be clear on this point.

I'd love to live in an unregulated, unlawyered world where people just kept their word, didn't try to take advantage of each other, and never tried to blame others for their bad decisions. But alas, this is not the world we live in. And since tomorrow, I'm going to introduce you to a number of, um, "creative" investments that I think you should know about, I figure the time has come. I'm sure this disclaimer will grow as Platinum Years grows, but here's a basic disclaimer for starters:

"This site may include analysis about the direction of various markets, and information about specific types of investments, as well as specific examples of investments that can be or have been made. All such ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are for educational and informational purposes only. They should not be construed as a recommendation for the reader to invest, trade, and/or speculate in these markets. Any investments, trades, and/or speculations made in light of the ideas, opinions, and/or forecasts, expressed or implied herein, are undertaken at your own risk, financial or otherwise."

"Every investor, advisor, or planner makes mistakes, and I make plenty of them. The markets have a way of humbling just about everybody, and the nature of this site is such that obviously I cannot know each person's individual situation. I encourage you to do your own "due diligence," and by all means, "push back" by commenting when you think I am wrong, or when any advice seems incomplete or insudfficient. That way, we will all learn, with each person maintaining responsibility for his or her own decisions."
OK, that wasn't fun, but tomorrow's article will be, I promise - Bob

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good idea for the disclosure. Consumers like to be informed about what's going on.

Rita at The Survive and Thrive Boomer Guide at http://boomersurvive-thriveguide.typepad.com

Popular posts from this blog

The Benefits of Delaying Social Security

What if We SAVED Our "Stimulus Package" Checks?

What Have You Done Lately to Pursue Your Dreams?